Coaching involves you gaining specific guided help with your PhD thesis to achieve your study goals, improve your academic writing and complete your thesis
PhD Coaching is in keeping with the Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research.
PhD Coaching helps you:
- Know what is expected of you at each stage of the thesis process
- Write confidently and appropriately in academic English
- Feel confident and in control of your studies
- Prepare your research proposal
- Develop timelines for study
- Edit your work
- Structure your chapters
- Write your literature review and other chapters
It also guides you to:
- Improve your English writing
- Use critical and creative thinking
- Avoid plagiarism
- Develop ownership
- Communicate with your supervisor
- Acquire your voice as a scholar
- Complete your research and submit your thesis
PhD Coaching achieves this through:
1. One-to-one Zoom coaching sessions (1 x 90 min/month). Your Zoom coaching session typically includes:
- Preparation – noting what issues you are currently having and identifying what text you want to work on.
- Exploration and clarification – understanding what the current issues are for you.
- Guidance – offering specific help with your issues, strategies, and research writing.
- Written edit – discussing the edit of your written work and highlighting writing strategies you can adopt.
- Action plan – outlining and agreeing on actions we will take before the next meeting.
- Conclusion – scheduling the next call and dealing with last questions.
- Follow up – reviewing progress via email and at the next Skype coaching call, and exploring new issues/texts.
2. Edited, annotated feedback on your writing (Up to 6,000* words/month)
Build up edited chapters towards your final submission. Also, have your English writing checked before submitting work to your supervisor. All editing is in accordance with your university’s guidelines and the Institute of Professional Editors (IPEd) Australian Standards for Editing Practice.
3. Full email support for questions
Fortnightly email support. Any questions. Just ask. Use the email service to ask every two weeks questions about your progress with issues discussed in the coaching sessions. Also raise any new questions you have.
4. Money back guarantee
Full money back guarantee if you choose not to progress after the first Zoom coaching session.
5. Discussion and guidance about the writing process
Help with your current written work so as to both improve the work and your own knowledge of academic writing.
6. Focus on international PhD candidates studying in Australia
Much of my career has been focused on TESOL and speakers of English as a second language. I have lived and worked in universities internationally and have an expert understanding of the academic writing issues that international PhD candidates can have.
7. Academic English language tasks relevant to your writing, as required*
English resources and tasks related to your specific written English needs.
6. Expert support ongoing, as required
There a two coaching packages available: Gold 3 Months Access and Platinum 6 Month Access. These can be used for one-off support or be renewed for the whole of your candidacy. Also ask about rates for custom periods.
7. Up-to-date curated online resources
Updated relevant resources available through the website and facebook group.
8. Full coaching with Dr John McAndrew
*Available with 6 Months Access package. (Up to 5,000 words/ month available with 3 Months Access package.)